Friday 30 August 2013

Just Forget About 2015 Ambition ––The Patriots Meet Jonathan

These are the words of Prof Ben Nwabueze after a meeting of
The Patriots with President Goodluck Jonathan on the state of
the nation at the Aso Rock Villa in Abuja on Thursday:
“That is not the purpose of our meeting today (Thursday),
but that is my view and I still maintain that view. I still believe
that the problem of this country is national transformation;
that you cannot combine national transformation with
contesting election.
“The two are so different because once you get involved in
electioneering, you undermine your authority to lead the
nation for national transformation and I said if I were the
President, I would restrict myself to serving the nation,
transforming this country and creating a new Nigeria. These
would be my concern and I would go down in history as a
hero.
“So, if Mr. President does that, he would become an instant
hero in this country; but it is for him to choose. If I were him,
I would choose to become a hero to lead the country into
transformation and abandon the ambition of a second term.
That is what I said and I still stand by it and that is what I
would do if I were the President of this country, but
unfortunately, I’m not.”
At the meeting which was held behind closed doors in the
President’s office in Abuja, The Patriots, a group of eminent
Nigerians led by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Prof. Ben
Nwabueze, renewed its call for the convocation of a national
conference.
A 13-page memorandum covering issues such as the need for a
people’s constitution, the expansion of the agenda for national
transformation to include economic emancipation as well as good
governance , was presented by The Patriots to President
Jonathan.
Prof Nwabueze, who took over the leadership of the group from
the first Nigerian SAN, the late Chief Rotimi Williams, told State
House correspondents after the meeting that Jonathan must shun
the urge to seek reelection in 2015 and concentrate on his
transformation agenda.
The legal icon insisted that the President was eligible to contest in
2015, but he could become a national hero if he summoned enough
courage to shun sycophant and refuse to contest.
On the purpose of the meeting, Prof Nwabueze said he and
members of the group told the President that the nation of Nigeria
is in dire need of REAL transformation, not mere talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment